Businesses globally are increasingly exposed to governmental and regulatory investigations and enforcement action, resulting in civil, criminal and regulatory risk. In a global business environment underpinned by heightened regulatory oversight and complex, evolving legislation, it is vital to pre-empt and manage such risks.
Our dynamic Investigations team is well-placed to help clients navigate potential pitfalls and handle the full range of proceedings that may arise from such investigations.
We are experienced in handling cross-border investigations concerning bribery, fraud, anti-money laundering, whistle-blower complaints, tax, and financial services offences. These include conducting internal investigations as well as representing clients in investigations or enforcement proceedings brought by external bodies, including public and law enforcement authorities.
Our Investigations team is regularly instructed by multinationals and listed companies to advise and represent them in high-value and high-profile complex global investigations. We have acted in cross-border FCPA investigations involving the US Department of Justice, and related US reporting obligations. We have also been called upon at short notice to assist with dawn raids conducted by various enforcement agencies.
We represent international clients from a broad range of industries including leading financial institutions, technology, energy, MNCs, listed companies, boards of directors, management and other individuals in connection with government investigations, enforcement actions, internal investigations, and white collar criminal prosecutions involving Singapore and overseas operations.
The Investigations team covers the full range of investigations work, including:
- Anti-bribery, corruption and fraud
- Anti-money laundering
- Antitrust and competition
- Asset recovery
- Criminal investigations and prosecution
- Dawn raids
- Financial Services regulation
- Internal investigations
- Regulatory investigations and enforcement
We are able to quickly assemble a multi-disciplinary team that leverages on our broad expertise and experience. Several members of the team are recognised as leading investigations practitioners, some of whom play active roles in the shaping of investigations-related legislation. The team includes former prosecutors and regulators and draws on the experience of several members who hold key appointments at organisations such as the World Bank's Sanctions Board, the ICCA's Governing Board, the IBA’s Anti-Corruption Structured Criminal Settlements Sub-Committee, and the Singapore Exchange disciplinary committee.
We also tap on other specialists from the firm such as the Dispute Resolution, Banking, Tax and Competition Law & Regulatory practices.
Our track record speaks for itself. Some examples of landmark, high profile investigations cases we have handled are:
- Appointed to act as joint independent special auditor for the investigations into SingPost's corporate governance.
- Representing a major multi-national pharmaceuticals company in cross-border FCPA investigations.
- Represented Asia Pulp & Paper in criminal investigations commenced by the Commercial Affairs Department regarding allegations of cross-border commercial fraud in hundreds of millions of dollars in jurisdictions including Singapore, Bermuda, Europe, USA, Hong Kong.
- Defended a leading multi-national technology conglomerate in a dawn raid that was carried out in coordination with overseas authorities as part of a global investigation on unfair trade practices.
- Representing a Japanese multi-national in anti-corruption investigations.
Who’s Who Legal
Wendell Wong - 6 consecutive years
Chia Voon Jiet (Future leaders section) - 2 consecutive years
Mahesh Rai (Future leaders section) - 2 consecutive years
Wendell Wong is well regarded for his "focus on financial crime" and garners respect for his work in international investigations.
Chia Voon Jiet is an "intelligent and shrewd practitioner" according to observers who praise his ability to handle issues ranging from corporate fraud to regulatory investigations.
Mahesh Rai is "truly a leader in this area"…He provides specialist insight into disputes in the telecommunications and energy sectors.
Business Crime Defence 2018
Wendell Wong – 6 consecutive years
Gary Low – 2 consecutive years