Wendell is a highly respected civil, commercial and criminal lawyer. His civil and commercial practice includes contracts and commercial disputes, shareholder and director disputes, asset recovery, medical negligence, product liability and cross-border arbitration work. His criminal practice focuses on commercial and business crime, fraud, securities, corruption, corporate governance related offences and investigation work.
Wendell also regularly engages in regulatory and compliance advisory work including anti-fraud and anti-bribery investigations work for multinational and listed companies. He is on the panel of lawyers representing various embassies in Singapore, including those of the United States of America and Qatar.
Wendell is an experienced arbitration counsel who has acted as lead counsel in numerous disputes and international arbitrations under the rules of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC), International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) and United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL). Wendell has also acted as lead counsel in the Singapore International Commercial Court.
Chambers Global ranks Wendell as a leading practitioner in dispute resolution and commends his regional work related to the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act ("FCPA"). Chambers Global describes him as renowned for his developed understanding of the Indonesian legal system. Asia Pacific Legal 500 also ranks Wendell high in the area of dispute resolution. Who’s Who Legal recognises Wendell as one of the top Business Crime Defence and Investigations lawyers in Singapore
Wendell is the current co-chairperson of the Criminal Practice Committee, Law Society of Singapore. He is also the Membership Officer of the International Bar Association, Anti-Corruption Committee.
Wendell is a strong advocate of pro bono work and was one of the pioneer trainers for International Bridges to Justice, a Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ Criminal Justice Training for ASEAN Countries in Singapore and Laos in 2011 and involving Myanmar in 2013. He is also a mentor with the Criminal Legal Aid Fellowship, Law Society of Singapore. Wendell is a member on the Board of Law Society Pro-Bono Services Limited.
Wendell joined Drew & Napier in 2000, having spent three years as Deputy Public Prosecutor/ State Counsel with the Attorney General's Chambers.
Wendell was also appointed as a member of the Penal Code Review Committee by the Ministry of Home Affairs and Ministry of Law.
Wendell has successfully handled many high-profile matters including:
1. Successfully represented Asia Pulp & Paper in the then largest debt restructuring in the world exceeding US$16 billion and related US securities action (including dealings with the US Securities Exchange Commission), bondholders and class action litigation and investigations in jurisdictions including Indonesia, Singapore, New York, California, various other parts of the US, Canada and Bermuda. The APP group has more than 150 companies worldwide including U.S., Canada, China, India, Indonesia and Singapore.
2. Represented Zhong Jun Resources Pte Ltd in a claim brought by creditors in relation to allegations involving multi-billion dollars’ worth of commodities stock related fraud in Qingdao warehouse(s) (“Qingdao Fraud”).
3. Successfully defended the former CEO of Crimson Logic Pte Ltd in what was termed by the media as a ‘rare acquittal in a commercial crime case’ involving alleged commercial corruption with the trial having spanned some 60 hearing days in court over 10 months.
4. Secured an acquittal for a senior lawyer, who is also a former independent director of Singapore-listed company, Airocean, in a landmark decision by the former Chief Justice regarding corporate disclosure obligations under listing rules and securities law.
5. Successfully argued a landmark product liability suit at trial and before the Court of Appeal for actress, Andrea De Cruz, against importers and distributors of Slim 10 slimming pills.
6. Successfully argued a complex trust lawsuit involving family arrangements of oral trusts with trust assets in excess of S$60 million.
Asia Pacific Legal 500
Dispute Resolution 2019 – Recommended lawyer for 2 consecutive years
‘noted for headline commercial and white-collar crime cases’
a ‘strong and well respected advocate’, who is praised for his ‘practical approach’ and ‘partnership’ with the client
“Rising star Wendell Wong is commended for his sound strategy and responsiveness.”
“Wendell Wong is diligent, sound in judgment and pragmatic in approach.”
Chambers Global 2015
Indonesia: Dispute Resolution (International Firms) (Experts Based Abroad) – Indonesia – Band 2
Dispute Resolution: Arbitration – Singapore (Foreign Experts) - Indonesia
“Wendell Wong is highlighted for his cross-border arbitration work, and is well known for handling commercial disputes relating to the energy and natural resources sectors.”
“Wendell Wong regularly tackles cross-border matters, particularly in arbitrations relating to Indonesia. His broad practice spans both civil and criminal law.”
“Wendell Wong is renowned for his developed understanding of the Indonesian legal system.”
Who’s Who Legal
Investigations 2019 – Recommended lawyer for 6 consecutive years
Business Crime Defence 2018 - Recommended lawyer for 6 consecutive years (Individuals and Corporates chapters)
Wendell Wong is well regarded for his "focus on financial crime" and garners respect for his work in international investigations
“Recognised for his ‘practical and smart’ approach to investigations, and is commended by sources for his ‘ability to anticipate regulators' concerns and find effective solutions’”
“Wendell Wong is well known for his work in the criminal investigations space, covering anti-bribery and anti-fraud matters for major corporations.”
Best Lawyers International: Singapore (2020 edition)
Criminal Defense – Endorsed individual (debut)
International Law Office
White Collar Crime – Recommended lawyer