Construction & Engineering
Drew & Napier's dynamic Construction & Engineering Practice provides start to end legal, contractual, technical and practical advice on construction and engineering-related work.
Our approach encompasses contentious and non-contentious aspects of construction and engineering projects, both domestic and international, with particular expertise in energy and infrastructure.
Asia Pacific Legal 500 commends the Practice for its “speed and efficiency”, and adds “as with all dispute practices at the firm, the technical skills are top notch.”
Some of the significant non-contentious matters our Practice has handled include:
- Advising the developer and its subsidiaries, as joint lead counsel, on all construction project documentation, including EPC and O&M contracts, for the design, construction and commissioning of Singapore's largest desalination plant.
- Advising a specialist contractor in the drafting of its contract for the supply, delivery, installation, testing and commissioning of a diesel rotary uninterruptible power supply system.
- Advising the employer in the drafting of the tender documentation and the conditions of contract for the development and construction of a data centre in Singapore.
- Advising the developer on all construction project documentation (including EPC and O&M contracts) for the design, construction and commissioning of its gas-fired thermal power project in Taipei, Republic of Taiwan.
- Advising a major international pharmaceutical company on its EPC contract for its pharmaceutical plant in Bogor, Indonesia.
Our Practice has also handled a number of highly technical and complex contentious matters including:
- Presently acting for an Indonesian high net worth individual in resisting claims from an Indian energy conglomerate in relation to a dispute over the development of 3 coal mining concessions in South Sumatra. The arbitration required extensive arguments on multiple aspects of the infrastructure work associated with developing and operating a greenfield coal concession in Indonesia.
- Acting for the respondent Korean construction corporation, in an ad hoc arbitration under the UNCITRAL Rules 2010 against the claimant, Indian state-linked petrochemical company. The dispute relates to the aborted construction, on an EPC+L basis, of a High Density Polyethylene Plant in a petrochemical complex in India.
- Acting for an EPC contractor in an SIAC-administered international arbitration (commenced under the BANI Rules in Indonesia) under SIAC Rules in relation to an offshore oil platform project in Indonesia.
- Acted for the claimant Indian power conglomerate in an SIAC arbitration against respondent Indonesian mine owners, relating to failure to complete construction of a coal mining facility and failure to deliver land over the mining concession area in Indonesia.
- Acted for the respondent Vietnamese state-linked entity (employer) against the claimant Chinese state-linked construction company (contractor) in a VIAC arbitration. The claimant raised a litany of claims against the respondent justifying their termination of the FIDIC-based contract. The complexity and scale of disputes in this massive project required close cooperation with quantum and delay experts, and a detailed understanding of the construction process of hydro-electric dams and the use of tunnel-boring machines.
Chambers Asia Pacific
Construction 2019 - Noted Practitioner
Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific 2019 edition
Construction 2019 – Tier 3
A client commented that Drew & Napier has an “excellent dispute resolution practice. Very professional and service oriented. They are able to anticipate and identify issues and offer sound and practical ways out of a situation.”
The Asia Pacific Legal 500
Real Estate & Construction 2016 – Tier 1
“Drew & Napier LLC is “renowned” for real estate and construction, advising on the contentious and non-contentious aspects of construction, engineering and related insurance issues."
"Drew & Napier LLC has broad and deep expertise in both contentious and non-contentious real estate and construction matters.”
Construction 2019 – Recommended firm
Construction & Real Estate 2013 to 2018 – Highly Recommended firm (6 consecutive years)
Who's Who of Construction 2014
Cavinder Bull, SC