Gary practices both civil and criminal litigation. He has an active civil/commercial practice and has acted in a wide variety of matters, including disputes in banking and finance, commercial disputes, arbitrations, directors’/shareholders’ disputes, minority oppression, tortious liability, property and contractual disputes.
He regularly acts for major local and foreign banks in relation to all aspects of banking disputes, including banking fraud, anti-money laundering practices, banker-customer obligations, banking secrecy, financial advisory services and obligations in respect of the sale of financial products. In the aftermath of the global financial crisis, he represented banks, corporations and individuals in several claims relating to the mis-selling of financial products, including complex financial instruments such as accumulators, options, swaps and credit linked notes.
Gary also has wide experience in criminal matters and was formerly a Deputy Public Prosecutor. He has represented clients involved in diverse offences, including commercial crimes, corruption and securities offences such as insider trading, market manipulation. He has also been involved in investigations by various corporations into alleged wrongdoings of employees in relation to fraud, criminal breach of trust, cheating, breach of fiduciary duties and other misconduct.
Gary has handled a wide spectrum of cases. Here are just a few:
- Acted for a financial institution against a claim by Indonesian customers for alleged misrepresentation and misspelling of complex financial products, including accumulators, equity-linked convertible instruments, equity-linked notes and dual currency returns.
- Represented a jeweller and its director against a claim for dishonestly assisting in the dissipation of trust monies by the former solicitor of the Plaintiffs who absconded with the Plaintiffs’ monies.
- Acted for a subsidiary of a Malaysian public listed company in an arbitration against the Johor State Government for breach of a privatisation and development agreement for the construction of a waterfront city in Johor Bahru.
- Acted for a manufacturer and distributor of soft drinks products listed on the Main Board of the SGX-ST in a claim by its Indonesian franchisee for alleged breach of a Franchise Agreement and unlawful interference with the franchisee’s trade.
- Defended a managing director of a Singapore-listed company against charges of market manipulation and making false and misleading statements in a public announcement to the Singapore Exchange Securities Trading Limited.
Asia-Pacific Legal 500
Dispute Resolution 2019 – Recommended lawyer for 2 consecutive years
"sound and accurate"
Who’s Who Legal
Business Crime Defence 2019 - Recommended lawyer for 3 consecutive years (Corporates chapter)
Global Investigations Review 100 (GIR 100) 5th edition (2019)
Recognised as a leading individual for investigations. The GIR 100 identifies top 100 firms worldwide that handle complex cross-border government-led and internal investigations.
Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific 2019 edition
Dispute Resolution Star - Commercial and Transactions, White Collar Crime