Voon Jiet has over 15 years of experience representing multinational corporations, financial institutions, statutory boards and individuals at all levels of the Singapore Court, including as lead counsel in the High Court, International Commercial Court and Court of Appeal. He has acted as both counsel and arbitrator in international arbitrations, and is one of the youngest members of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre's (SIAC) panel of arbitrators.
Voon Jiet has an active and diverse disputes practice spanning a broad spectrum of litigation and arbitration matters. These include civil disputes relating to banking and finance, commercial contracts, company law, insolvency, corporate fraud, complex tort, and employment.
Voon Jiet also specialises in regulatory and competition investigations, and has extensive experience in these matters across various industries, including telecommunications, media, energy, transport and finance. He has advised local and overseas entities on all aspects of such investigations, such as dawn raids, leniency applications, enforcement actions, appeals and judicial review proceedings.
The 2018 edition of Asia Pacific Legal 500 recommended Voon Jiet for dispute resolution, where he is described as “quick and makes the effort to understand clients’ business structures and objectives.” He is also recognised by Who’s Who Legal for investigations as an "intelligent and shrewd practitioner", and “an authority on the sophisticated legal issues that arise in such matters.”
Voon Jiet graduated with First Class Honours from the National University of Singapore, and holds a Master of Laws from Harvard Law School.
He is presently a co-author for the Singapore Academy of Law Annual Review on Civil Procedure, and has also contributed to a number of prominent publications and textbooks on Singapore law.
Voon Jiet has handled a variety of contentious matters. Here are just a few:
- Co-counsel in $80 million international arbitration - Co-counsel in an international arbitration between a Singapore government-linked company and an Australian listed company in a dispute arising out of a major infrastructure project. The dispute comprised various claims in excess of $85 million, and involved numerous technical experts.
- Defending a law firm in US$47 million professional negligence suit - Successfully defended a law firm and a senior corporate lawyer in a negligence claim arising from a complex cross-border corporate transaction involving the acquisition of an interest in an Indonesian coal mine. ( SGHC 146,  SGCA 12)
- First competition appeal on abuse of dominance - Acted for the ticketing service provider in an appeal against an infringement decision by the Competition Commission of Singapore regarding abuse of dominance arising from various exclusive agreements. This was the first case in Singapore involving abuse of dominance, and resulted in a landmark decision by the Competition Appeal Board (SISTIC.com Pte Ltd v CCS [1/2010]).
- Representing the telecommunications regulator - Advised and acted for the telecommunications regulator on a wide range of litigation and regulatory matters. Many of these involve issues relating to telecommunications, competition and administrative law.
- Representing a director sued for breach of fiduciary duties - Acted for the director of a private equity investment group who was sued for alleged breach of fiduciary duties. The case involved a joint venture in a New Zealand food company and concerned the validity of various securities in Singapore, Australia, and New Zealand. ( SGHC 31;  2 SLR(R) 597)
Who’s Who Legal: Investigations – Future Leaders
Ranked as an eminent lawyer under 45 in the field of investigations, anti-corruption and white-collar crime in the 2018 and 2019 editions.
Voon Jiet is an "intelligent and shrewd practitioner" according to observers who praise his ability to handle issues ranging from corporate fraud to regulatory investigations.
Voon Jiet is praised “for his work in competition and regulatory investigations where he is known as an authority on the sophisticated legal issues that arise in such matters.”
Asia-Pacific Legal 500
Dispute Resolution 2018 – Recommended lawyer
‘quick and makes the effort to understand clients’ business structures and objectives’
Who’s Who Legal
Telecommunications Media & Technology 2016: Telecommunications & Media – Leading Lawyer
Global Investigations Review 100 (GIR 100) 5th edition (2019)
Recognised as a leading individual for investigations. The GIR 100 identifies top 100 firms worldwide that handle complex cross-border government-led and internal investigations.
Best Lawyers International: Singapore (2021 edition)
Arbitration and Mediation – Endorsed individual
Singapore Business Review
Singapore’s 40 most influential lawyers aged 40 and under in 2015 – Listed lawyer