Environmental concerns, digitalisation and emerging technologies are some of the factors affecting the automotive industry. This means clients are now facing rapid changes and challenges in their current business models, and need to relook their organisation’s structure, processes and legal obligations to benefit from these developments.
Our experience and knowledge in navigating through the legal and regulatory aspects of this industry have allowed our clients to cruise to the top. We advise and act for clients such as automotive manufacturers, dealership groups, OEMs, financial institutions and engineering companies on the full spectrum of the law. This includes:
- Providing corporate advice and transactions
- Working on financing requirements
- Securing and protecting patents, trademarks and intellectual property
- Navigating through Competition and other regulatory issues
- Advising on taxation
- Providing strategic employment advice
- Defending or representing businesses in automotive-related disputes
- Acting for companies during the restructuring & insolvency process
Our lawyers are able to address any legal risks and concerns our clients may have. We have worked on a variety of legal matters involving the automotive industry which include the following:
- Acted for WBL Corporation Limited (WBL), in the proposed disposal of its automotive sales division to StarChase Motorsports (Singapore) Pte. Ltd. (StarChase) at an enterprise value of S$455 million. WBL is a subsidiary of United Engineers Limited, which is listed on the Singapore Exchange, while StarChase is an entity associated with the Samling Group, a Malaysian conglomerate.
- Acted for Fischer Tech Ltd (Fischer Tech) in relation to its S$168.45 million acquisition by Platinum Equity. FT Holding II Limited (Offeror), an indirectly wholly-owned subsidiary of investment funds and entities affiliated with and advised by Platinum Equity, has signed a definitive agreement to acquire Fischer Tech for S$3.02 in cash per share. The proposed acquisition of Fischer Tech by the Offeror will be effected by way of a scheme of arrangement under the Singapore Companies Act and in accordance with the Singapore Code on Takeovers and Mergers.
- Represented Singapore Mass Rapid Transit Corporation in a public inquiry called by the Prime Minister to investigate into two massive failures of the public rail transport system at the end of 2011. The public hearings lasted 6 weeks and involved more than 116 witnesses. SMRT is a publicly listed company. The case involved significant technical and expert testimony and generated day by day media coverage in Singapore.
- Represented Performance Motors Ltd successfully against a claim brought by a customer in respect of allegations of a defective top-of-the-line BMW car. The Court of Appeal dismissed the customer’s appeal.
- Advised and assisted two large automotive companies on potential competition law issues in respect of their proposed merger for various jurisdictions: Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia.