Randolph is Deputy Managing Director of our Dispute Resolution Department, and heads the dispute resolution practices of the Greater China, India and International Trade Desk and Private Client Disputes Group.
He is keenly involved in arbitration and international disputes. Randolph has been recognised by Chambers Asia-Pacific 2019 and Chambers Global 2018 as a leading practitioner in the area of dispute resolution in Singapore and China, in addition to being endorsed by Best Lawyers International 2020 for international arbitration and arbitration & mediation in Singapore.
Randolph has been praised by legal publications and clients for being “especially experienced in China-related arbitrations, having advised numerous Chinese clients on high-stakes disputes, and acted as counsel in arbitrations held under CIETAC rules”; and as a “Leader of a ‘very accessible and efficient’ team, who is ’well versed in international arbitration, willing to listen and extremely business-oriented’.” (Chambers and Partners)
Randolph joined Drew & Napier in 1990 after graduating with academic prizes and topping the final examination and public international law course at the National University of Singapore.
Randolph has handled numerous matters. Here are just a few:
- A long civil litigation spanning five years relating to a construction company involving substantial claims of an aggregate of approximately $60 million between the parties as well as satellite litigation. Three reported decisions arose from this brief in Lim Leong Huat v Chip Hup Hup Kee Construction Pte Ltd (No 1)  2 SLR 786; Lim Leong Huat v Chip Hup Hup Kee Construction Pte Ltd (No 2)  2 SLR(R) 318 and Lim Leong Huat v Chip Hup Hup Kee Construction Pte Ltd (No 3)  1 SLR 657.
- Advised on arbitration and legal actions for a mainland Chinese distributor and a South Korean franchisor, including an action in the Shenzhen Intermediate Court, successfully attaining an extension of the franchise agreement.
- Disputes between Indian investors in a Singapore-incorporated company having natural resource interests in Central Asia and Africa worth over US$25 million. Involved a High Court action in Singapore and arbitration in India.
- Advised a Singaporean investor in arbitration proceedings before the Shanghai Arbitration Commission arising from an abortive hotel investment project and thereafter related proceedings in the Shanghai Intermediate and High Courts as well as other related proceedings in the Singapore High Court.
- Acting in part of a complex, multi-jurisdictional divorce family asset dispute with claims to assets worth US$12 billion, involving a discharge of injunctive relief and asset-freezing orders in conjunction with civil proceedings abroad in Russia, Switzerland and the United States and related proceedings.
Chambers Global 2018
China: Dispute Resolution: Arbitration (International Firms): Expert based abroad
Dispute Resolution: Arbitration: Foreign Expert (China)
“His attention to detail and his ability to pinpoint and recall minute facts is amazing"
"He never fails to provide me with the clarification that I need, even at odd hours."
Dispute Resolution: Litigation (Singapore) 2019 – Band 4 for 2 consecutive years
"a sound and fierce litigator who doesn't give up"
"He is not only proactive, but would respond to all wild allegations put forth by the plaintiff with very comprehensive facts addressing the issues at large."
“Leader of a ‘very accessible and efficient’ team, who is ’well versed in international arbitration, willing to listen and extremely business-oriented’."
“Randolph Khoo of Drew & Napier LLC in Singapore heads the firm's Greater China dispute resolution team and regularly represents Chinese clients in disputes administered under CIETAC and other institutional rules. He attracts particular praise for his depth of research and mastery of complex documentation.”
The Asia Pacific Legal 500
Dispute Resolution 2019 – Recommended lawyer for 2 consecutive years
International Arbitration 2019 - Recommended lawyer for 4 years
'induces lateral thinking and alternative perspectives to many issues' and has 'an amazing ability to diffuse any tension and provide clarity to legal arguments’
‘a go-to practitioner for China and Russia-related cases’
‘an outstanding lawyer’, ‘stands tall in the land of giants’
"[Randolph Khoo] argues the case very effectively"
Best Lawyers International: Singapore (2020 edition)
Arbitration and Mediation – Endorsed individual for 7 consecutive years
International Arbitration – Endorsed individual for 4 consecutive years