Terence has experience handling a wide range of corporate, commercial and other complex disputes in litigation and arbitration (under the rules of the SIAC or ICC). His practice centers around disputes involving company directors and/or shareholders, minority oppression, breaches of fiduciary or directors’ duties, civil fraud and conspiracy, joint venture agreements, sale and purchase agreements, banking and finance, employment, and technology.
Terence also has an active criminal law practice, and has acted as lead counsel in numerous trials involving a diverse array of commercial and non-commercial criminal offences. Terence is also an active volunteer with the Criminal Legal Aid Scheme, under which he offers pro bono legal representation to the needy.
Terence graduated from the National University of Singapore (NUS), where he was on the Dean’s List for multiple years, on the overall Dean’s List, and was awarded the Gower Prize as the top student in Company Law. He also represented NUS in the International Maritime Law Arbitration Moot, and was a student editor for the Singapore Journal of Legal Studies.
In Part B of the Singapore Bar Examinations, Terence was ranked joint sixth, was awarded distinctions for multiple subjects, and was awarded the SILE Prize for the best student in Ethics & Professional Responsibility.
Terence was also awarded the Singapore Academy of Law Post-Qualification Overseas Attachment, and was attached with Blackstone Chambers, a leading set of barristers’ chambers in the United Kingdom.
Terence is also occasionally a tutor for the Trial Advocacy module at NUS, and a trainer for the advocacy module of Part B of the Bar Examinations.
Some of the matters that Terence has handled include the following:
- Telemedia Pacific Group Ltd v Credit Agricole (Suisse) SA (Yeh Mao-Yuan, third party)  1 SLR 338 – Successfully represented the defendant bank in resisting a claim in the High Court by a customer in relation to an alleged unauthorized transfer of 225 million shares of a company listed on the SGX.
- Successfully represented minority shareholders of a company, including the founder of the group of companies, in a claim for minority oppression.
- Successfully represented a Swiss multinational investment bank in resisting claims by a customer in relation to alleged forced liquidation of assets pursuant to margin calls, arising from the 2008 financial crisis.
- Successfully represented an SGX-listed company in SIAC arbitration against a company listed on a foreign stock exchange, in relation to a sale and purchase agreement.
- Successfully represented an NYSE-listed company in ICC arbitration against a Malaysian company in relation to alleged breaches of a distributorship agreement.