Established in 2015, the Singapore International Commercial Court (SICC) was designed to handle international, high-value commercial disputes. Cases are heard by eminent international judges from around the world. Judgments by the SICC are enforceable through the Hague Convention on Choice of Court Agreements and other reciprocal agreements.
Drew & Napier’s stellar track record in dispute resolution makes us the preferred choice for cutting edge disputes work. Our SICC expertise has been recognised by the Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2018 edition, which highlighted that “The Drew disputes team is relentlessly at the forefront of big-ticket disputes and has appeared in over half the cases before SICC.”
Drew has represented clients from several countries in SICC disputes, including US, Indonesia, China, Dubai (UAE), Australia, and Singapore. Our SICC experience also spans several different sectors.
Here are just a few of the SICC cases that we are involved in:
- BCBC Singapore Pte Ltd and Anor v PT Bayan Resources TBK and Anor (first case heard at the SICC) - Representing PT Bayan Resources Tbk and Bayan International Pte Ltd in a billion dollar dispute between parties from Indonesia and Australia. The dispute arose from alleged breaches of a joint venture agreement for the application of a patented technology to produce and sell upgraded coal from East Kalimantan in Indonesian Borneo. This cross-border dispute has spilled over to the Australian courts and involves Australian, Indonesian and Singapore business interests. The case is before The Honourable Justice Quentin Loh, International Judge Sir Vivian Ramsey and International Judge Anselmo Reyes.
- Macquarie Bank Ltd v Graceland Industry Pte Ltd – Representing Graceland Industry, a subsidiary of a Chinese state-owned enterprise, against a commodities swap claim brought by Macquarie Bank. Macquarie’s claim relates to an agreement purportedly entered into between parties in respect of a derivative swap transaction under an unsigned ISDA Master Agreement. The trial was heard before International Judge Sir Henry Bernard Eder.
- Bachmeer Capital Limited v Ong Chih Ching and Others - Representing KOP Properties Pte Ltd and others against a Hong Kong company in a dispute involving a large scale property development in China. The case is before International Judge Sir Vivian Ramsey.
- Sheila Kazzaz and Ahmed Kazzaz v Standard Chartered Bank and Others - Representing individuals based in Dubai against Standard Chartered Bank and its officers in a dispute involving the provision of financial services. The case is before International Judge Anselmo Reyes.
- Michael A Baker (executor of the Estate of Chantal Burnison, deceased) v BCS Business Consulting Services Pte Ltd, Marcus Weber and Renslade Holdings Limited - Acting for the Estate of a high net worth individual from the United States (“US”). She was one of the inventors of a chemical compound that is an ingredient in skincare products. This compound is supplied to a well-known US skincare product company that is listed on the NYSE. The action concerns claims of breach of trust and fiduciary duties against a Singapore company, a Swiss individual and a Hong Kong company. The case is before The Honourable Justice Quentin Loh, International Judge Carolyn Berger and International Judge Dominique T. Hascher.
Drew’s CEO, Cavinder Bull, SC, was part of the committee that developed the framework for the establishment of the SICC and assisted with the drafting of the first set of Rules and Practice Directions for the SICC.
Asian Legal Business Southeast Asia Law Awards
Regional Litigation Law Firm of the Year 2019 – 3rd consecutive year
Singapore Litigation Law Firm of the Year 2019 – 15th consecutive year, sole winner since inception of the awards
Dispute Resolution Lawyer of the Year 2019 – Cavinder Bull, SC
Young Lawyer of the Year 2019 – Mahesh Rai
Asian Legal Business India Law Awards 2019 (inaugural)
India Practice, Asian Law Firm of the Year 2019
Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific Awards
Commercial & Transactions Firm of the Year 2019
National Law Firm of the Year 2018 – Singapore
Disputes Star of the Year, Singapore 2018 – Cavinder Bull, SC
The Asia Pacific Legal 500
Dispute Resolution 2020 – Ranked Tier 1 for 21 consecutive years
Jimmy Yim, SC – 19 consecutive years
Cavinder Bull, SC – 12 consecutive years
Siraj Omar, SC – 2 consecutive years
Randolph Khoo - 3 consecutive years
Wendell Wong - 3 consecutive years
Gary Low - 3 consecutive years
Blossom Hing - 3 consecutive years
Ong Sim Ho
Next Generation Lawyers:
Sources say: “The firm has been the gold standard for litigation for a long time and remains at the forefront.”
“The firm is honest, astute and organised. It is clinical in its efficiency and runs rings around the opposition.”
“It invests resources into best-of-class, decent and efficient lawyers able to support clients to the absolute best of their abilities.”
‘“Top of the class” and a “clear leader in litigation”’
Chambers Asia-Pacific and Chambers Global
Dispute Resolution: Litigation: Domestic Firms 2020 – Ranked Band 1 (14 consecutive years)
Jimmy Yim, SC – Band 2 (7 years running)
Cavinder Bull, SC – Band 1 (10 years running)
Randolph Khoo – Band 4 (3 years running)
Kelvin Tan (3 years running)
Blossom Hing (3 years running)
Siraj Omar (Debut in 2020)
Clients praise the quality of the team's advice: "They are very responsive, diligent and responsible in the legal work carried out. Most importantly, they are straightforward in giving assessments of the case."
Sources say: "They are very proactive and they can think outside of the box. They do the work well, which means they are able to move things on quickly."
"Their reputation is well deserved: they are the top firm overall in Singapore, unlike a lot of multinational firms. They really are focused on operating from Singapore, but they work all around the world."
"They are among the top at their game in Singapore and they have a good network of solid friendly firms in other jurisdictions that they work very well with."
"They have hands-down the best litigation team in Singapore. If I needed to recommend a client to a litigation team in Singapore other than my own firm, I'd recommend Drew & Napier. I think they have good lead partners, lots of experience and a good mid tier as well. The quality is good across the levels because they train them well."
"They are exceptionally bright and engaging, and prepared to tailor advice to our specific needs."
"What I appreciated about Drew & Napier is that they were quick at delivering work"
They were very responsive and able to get back to us quickly."
"They are THE litigation firm in Singapore."
"Drew & Napier is our first choice for this work."
"It is an outstanding litigation firm. Not only have they demonstrated their advocacy prowess, and their know-how from a civil procedure standpoint, they also have strong ability to understand the internal workings of the clients"
"quality services and sensible, practical advice"
"clear strategies on how to secure your objectives."
Dispute Resolution 2019 – Outstanding firm for 9 consecutive years
Asialaw Leading Lawyers
Dispute Resolution & Litigation 2018
Jimmy Yim, SC – Market Leading lawyer
Cavinder Bull, SC – Market Leading lawyer
Tony Yeo – Market Leading lawyer
Blossom Hing – Market Leading lawyer
Mahesh Rai – Leading lawyer
Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific 2018 edition
Commercial and Transactions – Tier 1 (3 consecutive years)
Identified as Dispute Resolution Stars:
Jimmy Yim, SC – International Arbitration, Commercial and Transactions
Cavinder Bull, SC – International Arbitration, Commercial and Transactions
Siraj Omar, SC – Commercial and Transactions, Insolvency
Sushil Nair – Insolvency
Tony Yeo – Intellectual Property
Randolph Khoo – International Arbitration, Commercial and Transactions, Family and Matrimonial
Wendell Wong – White Collar Crime
Blossom Hing – Insolvency
Christopher Chong – Construction
Gary Low – White Collar Crime, Commercial and Transactions
Mohan Gopalan – Insolvency
“Efficient and effective witness preparation; extremely high level advocacy skill; and skilled resources even down to the trainees used to assist in the court matter.”
Who’s Who Legal
Cavinder Bull, SC (12 consecutive years)
Litigation Thought Leader 2020 – Cavinder Bull SC (2 consecutive years)
Best Lawyers International: Singapore (2021 edition)
Arbitration & Mediation
Jimmy Yim, SC
Cavinder Bull, SC
Chia Voon Jiet
Cavinder Bull, SC (also Lawyer of the Year)
Jimmy Yim, SC
Cavinder Bull, SC
The Asian Lawyer Emerging Markets Awards 2016
Commercial Litigation Firm of the Year
Asia IP Experts
IP Litigation 2016
Jimmy Yim, SC
Cavinder Bull, SC