Kelvin read law at the National University in Singapore, and joined Drew & Napier following graduation.
Kelvin has an active practice in litigation and international arbitration. He also co-heads the Employment and Hotels and Leisure Practices.
He has litigated complex commercial disputes in a wide range of areas, including insurance, intellectual property, fraud and breach of fiduciary duties, international arbitration, investment and shareholder disputes, and trusts.
He has represented clients in international arbitrations under various institutional rules such as the SIAC, ICC, LCIA, AIAC and UNCITRAL rules.
These are a few of the matters that Kelvin has handled:
- US$120 million smartphone dispute – Represented a listed electronics manufacturer in an SIAC arbitration against a European principal in disputes arising from development and manufacturing agreements for a new smartphone, involving cross-claims relating to the design and manufacture of smartphone handsets and software applications.
- Represented a leading insurer in termination of a bancassurance agreement – Obtained an award for an international insurer against a bank denying a claim in excess of $10 million, which followed the termination of a long-term bancassurance distribution agreement.
- US$80 million joint venture dispute – Successfully represented a leading European business software house in an SIAC arbitration against its South Asian joint venture partner, arising out of a failed joint venture.
- Online game publishing dispute – Represented a North Asian developer of a massively multiplayer online game in an arbitration constituted under the ICC Rules against its publisher in a claim for unlawful termination of a software publishing contract.
- US$60 million OEM contract dispute – Acted for a component manufacturer in an LCIA arbitration against a European principal in respect of disputes over an OEM contract for telecommunications transmission products.
Dispute Resolution: Litigation - Singapore 2020 – Recognised practitioner for 4 years
Employment: Domestic – Singapore 2020 – Recognised practitioner for 3 consecutive years
Best Lawyers International: Singapore (2021 edition)
Arbitration and Mediation – Endorsed individual
The Asia Pacific Legal 500
Employment 2019 – Recommended lawyer for 5 consecutive years
International Arbitration 2016 – Recommended lawyer
Dispute Resolution 2015 – Recommended lawyer
“Kelvin Tan is a valuable resource for contentious matters.”
“[Kelvin Tan] is always attuned to clients’ needs and available to discuss their concerns.”
Asialaw Leading Lawyers
Labour and Employment 2021 – Distinguished Practitioner for 2 consecutive years
Kelvin is praised for being “client-focused, knowledgeable with practical solutions, accessible and responsive, understands the client's needs and expectations”.
“Kelvin has the qualities that in-house legal teams look for in external counsel: technical proficiency, thoroughness and a keen appreciation of commercial sensitivities. He delivers sound and carefully considered advice, which demonstrates a deft balance of legal technicalities and commercial strategy.”