Kelvin read law at the National University in Singapore, and joined Drew & Napier following graduation.
Kelvin has an active practice in litigation and international arbitration. He also co-heads the Employment and Hotels and Leisure Practices.
He has litigated complex commercial disputes in a wide range of areas, including insurance, intellectual property, fraud and breach of fiduciary duties, international arbitration, investment and shareholder disputes, and trusts.
He has represented clients in international arbitrations under various institutional rules such as the SIAC, ICC, KLRCA, LCIA and UNCITRAL rules.
Kelvin also advises on regulatory compliance, investigations and proceedings involving bribery, fraud and misconduct, and specific sectoral regulation.
These are a few of the matters that Kelvin has handled:
- US$120 million smartphone dispute – Represented a listed electronics manufacturer in an SIAC arbitration against a European principal in disputes arising from development and manufacturing agreements for a new smartphone, involving cross-claims relating to the design and manufacture of smartphone handsets and software applications.
- Represented a leading insurer in termination of a bancassurance agreement – Obtained an award for an international insurer against a bank denying a claim in excess of $10 million, which followed the termination of a long-term bancassurance distribution agreement.
- US$80 million joint venture dispute – Successfully represented a leading European business software house in an SIAC arbitration against its South Asian joint venture partner, arising out of a failed joint venture.
- Online game publishing dispute – Represented the North Asian developer of a massively multiplayer online game in an arbitration constituted under the ICC Rules against its publisher in a claim for unlawful termination of a software publishing contract.
- US$60 million OEM contract dispute – Acted for a component manufacturer in an LCIA arbitration against a European principal in respect of disputes over an OEM contract for telecommunications transmission products.
The Asia Pacific Legal 500
Employment 2019 – Recommended lawyer for 5 consecutive years
International Arbitration 2016 – Recommended lawyer
Dispute Resolution 2015 – Recommended lawyer
“Kelvin Tan is a valuable resource for contentious matters.”
“[Kelvin Tan] is always attuned to clients’ needs and available to discuss their concerns.”
Dispute Resolution: Litigation (Singapore) 2019 – Recognised practitioner for 3 years
Employment: Domestic Firms 2019 – Recognised practitioner for 2 consecutive years