Shu Yan practices corporate and commercial litigation and arbitration.
Shu Yan has handled a diverse range of matters including private equity, corporate, banking and finance disputes and regulatory actions. She has a particular interest in trust and shareholder disputes and has represented prominent clients and high net worth individuals in these disputes. She is also actively engaged in advising clients both in and out of the courtroom on wide-ranging and complex legal issues. Shu Yan is committed to achieving resolutions which are commercially practical and sustainable for clients.
Shu Yan has an active arbitration practice. The matters which Shu Yan has handled usually involve damages of significant value or span multiple jurisdictions. She is experienced in handling matters involving foreign law issues.
In 2011, she was appointed to assist the Court as amicus curiae in a case that concerned certain sentencing issues. The learned Judge for the case expressed his gratitude to Shu Yan for her thorough research and fair-minded opinions in his written judgment –  1 SLR 116.
Shu Yan is proficient in both English and Mandarin. She also speaks the Cantonese dialect.
Some of the cases which Shu Yan has acted in include:
- Assisted in successfully obtaining judgment for two prominent Saudi Arabian private equity investors in a dispute concerning a failed telecommunications venture. This case resulted in two landmark decisions of the High Court, one on electronic discovery and the other on the Court’s power to striking out a Defence. Both were reported in  4 SLR(R) 343 and  4 SLR(R) 1 respectively.
- Successfully defended a consumer association against claims of breach of contract and rules of natural justice by a private school. The High Court decision, which was upheld by the Court of Appeal, was reported in  4 SLR 130.
- Acted for a subsidiary of a listed United Engineers company against another listed company. The action raised issues of piercing of the corporate veil. The opponent’s main witness recanted his entire evidence in the midst of cross-examination.
- Assisted the claimant, an Australian company, in obtaining a favourable award against an Italian company in a multi-million dollar international arbitration. The case involved claims of wrongful termination and breaches of a distributorship agreement.
- Represented a well-known hotel operator in a dispute relating to branding and intellectual property issues.