Shumin has an active disputes practice and is experienced in complex contractual disputes, shareholder's disputes, company law issues, and tortious actions. She also has particular experience with freezing injunctions.
In addition, she has handled judicial reviews, competition investigations and dawn raids.
Shumin has acted for a wide range of clients from various industries before the Singapore Courts and in international arbitrations. This includes acting for companies in the retail, hospitality, and shipping industries as well as venture capitalists and high net individuals.
Shumin graduated on the overall Dean’s List from the National University of Singapore and was placed fourth in the Singapore Bar exams. In the course of her undergraduate studies, she also obtained a University Degree in French Legal Studies from the University of Poitiers.
Some of the matters in which Shumin has handled include the following:
1. Successfully resisted a winding-up application which had been made on the basis that the company had failed to repay a loan which exceeded S$100 million, and also successfully resisted a novel application to re-instate the company to the ACRA register for the purpose of enforcing the loan.
2. Led the mediation of a $40 million dispute, which resulted in a favourable settlement for the client, who was a high net worth individual. The dispute was multi-faceted involving issues in Singapore, Brunei and other jurisdictions.
3. Successfully argued before the High Court for the variation of two separate Mareva Injunctions, both of which exceeded S$10 million in terms of the value of the assets frozen under the injunction.
4. Successfully resisted an application for relief against forfeiture and obtained a discharge of two injunctions that prevented a landlord from re-possessing the premises. The decision is reported in  SGHC 90.
5. Acted for an oil and gas producing company in resisting the enforcement of an arbitral award, the value of which exceeds US$300 million.