Javier specialises in intellectual property dispute resolution. He has acted for many clients across different industries such as the pharmaceutical, chemical and mechanical engineering as well as semiconductor industries in trademark and patent matters. Javier was recognised as a "Rising Star" for Intellectual Property for two consecutive years in 2022 and 2023 by Legal 500. He was recently also named the regional Rising Star of the Year at the Legal 500 Southeast Asia Awards 2023.
Counsels that have worked with him have described him as a “superb lawyer whose work in this complex case has been nothing short of amazing” and was also commended for “acquir[ing] an in-depth knowledge and understanding of the very challenging technical aspects of the disputes and of the volumes of evidence”.
Clients have described Javier as “very smart, quick and efficient” and that his “work rate is simply outstanding”.
Apart from his intellectual property practice, Javier has also practised in a wide array of commercial matters including company law, contract law, defamation and employment law, for both international and local clients.
Javier has handled many types of cases before the Singapore Courts across different areas of practice. These include numerous high-value Court matters, in particular, intellectual property disputes ranging across a wide variety of industries. Amongst his clients are well-known international brands in their respective industries.
Intellectual Property Matters
- Sucessfully represented IIa Technologies Pte Ltd, an industry leader and manufacturer of lab-grown diamonds with the largest diamond growing facility in the world, in a patent infringement suit commenced by Element Six Technologies Ltd, a subsidiary of the De Beers Group, in Ila Technologies Pte Ltd v Element Six Technologies Limited  SGCA 5. It is safe to say that this Suit is one of the most and possibly the most complex patent infringement case that the Singapore High Court and Singapore Court of Appeal has heard.
- Successfully defended Uni-Drive (S) Pte Ltd in a trademark revocation action in Nidec Control Techniques Limited v Uni-Drive Systems (S) Pte Ltd  SGIPOS 8.
- Acted for Tanaka Electronics Singapore (Pte.) Ltd. in a Singapore High Court patent infringement action, which was the latest development in the ongoing global patent litigation dispute with Nippon Steel Chemical & Material Co., Ltd. and Nippon Micrometal Corporation.
- Represented an international hotel chain in a trademark infringement and passing off matter involving multiple jurisdictions.
Other contentious corporate matters
- Represented a consumer goods company and its subsidiaries to coordinate the client’s global litigation strategy in numerous cross-border disputes in Luxembourg, Philippines, Thailand and Malaysia.
- Successfully represented BW Automobiles Pte Ltd in the State Courts ( SGDC 189) and in the appeal to the High Court in a landmark case concerning the interpretation of named driver insurance policies.
- Represented a Singapore holding company in the business of acquiring aesthetic practices in a suit canvassing various issues including a breach of contract, minority shareholder oppression and equitable winding up pursuant to s254 of the Companies Act. The claim was in excess of SGD20m.
- Acting for clients in several defamation cases relating to online posts and reviews.
- Acting for a medical research organisation in relation to breach of a collaboration agreement for the development of a vaccine for global distribution.
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific
Intellectual Property 2023 – Rising Star for 2 consecutive years
“I would also like to recommend Javier Yeo who is very cautious, hardworking and resourceful in his work.”
“Both Tony Yeo and Javier Yeo are very professional, work swiftly and I find them very creative. They attention to details and I am very comfortable when handling my matters to them.”
“Another person whom I need to mention is Javier Yeo. He is very smart, quick and efficient. His work rate is simply outstanding. I have received important and urgent emails/WhatsApp messages from him late at night and even on weekends. He is always energetic and full of passion. A very nice and comfortable person to work with.”
The Legal 500 Southeast Asia Awards 2023
Named regional Rising Star of the Year for Intellectual Property
Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific 2023
Javier “is quick to understand the key points of the patents and background of the industry.”
“Meticulous, super-hardworking, extremely perseverant, and excellent in simplifying complex matters.”
asialaw Leading Lawyers 2023 edition
“Knowledgeable and has expertise in laws regarding intellectual property. Provides strong support in the litigation.”