Ron is the Co-Head of the Investment Funds practice. He has handled a wide range of corporate matters since 2003. He has acted as lead counsel in the establishment of alternative investment funds across various legal structures (such as unit trusts, limited partnerships, companies, business trusts, Cayman segregated portfolio companies and Singapore variable capital companies). He has advised on the establishment of licensed, registered or exempt fund managers, financial advisers and trust companies in Singapore.
He has also acted as lead counsel in domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and employment law-related work. His clientele consists of local individuals and organisations as well as multinational and international clients.
Ron has dealt with a wide range of corporate transactions. Some of the matters in which Ron has handled include:
- Acting as Singapore counsel for a Dutch pension fund asset manager as lead investor of a tax-exempted private fund investing into offshore real estate developments.
- Acting for a major offshore snack company in its joint venture with an Indian company specialising in the production of cashew nuts, and the parties’ subsequent multi-million dollar investments into the joint venture company.
- Acting for a US conglomerate in a private share acquisition for S$35 million. The transaction involved the transfer of government-leased properties.
- Acting for a Singapore corporation in its sale of the ERA real estate group of companies.
- Acting for receivers appointed to an insolvent Indonesian resort in the sale of the resort’s shares and receivables to a corporate fund investor.
Asia Pacific Legal 500
Investment Funds 2020 – Recommended Lawyer for 4 consecutive years
Capital Markets 2018 – Recommended Lawyer
Ron specialises in the structuring and listing of funds, "manages a good team" and "always delivers well thought out practical advice".
A client praised Ron for being “highly accessible and responsive.”
Ron Cheng stands out for his "experience and knowledge". He is strong in all aspects of funds management and private equity transactions together with regulatory regimes and related tax issues.
IFLR1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms
“Highly professional, responsive and knowledgeable.”
Asialaw Leading Lawyers
Ron was commended by a client who said: “Ron is very professional, knowledgeable and efficient. I am very pleased with his work.”
Singapore Business Review
Singapore’s 70 most influential lawyers aged 40 and under in 2016 – Listed lawyer