Yvonne actively practices in all aspects of Intellectual Property (IP) work. She has more than 15 years of legal experience in IP matters, and her clients include multinational companies alike.
On contentious matters, Yvonne's key areas include trade marks and copyright infringement, and passing off. She is regularly involved in trade mark opposition proceedings, and has handled criminal raids of counterfeit goods as well domain name recovery claims under the Singapore Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (SDRP).
Yvonne’s legal experience extends to trade mark and patent registration, searches and strategic advisory work as well as corporate IP matters, such as the drafting and review of licensing and franchise agreements relating to IP assets.
Yvonne has lectured on international trade mark law at the National University of Singapore. She also contributed to a number of articles on IP, including Atkin’s Court Forms – Singapore (Issue 15), Copyright, Lexis Nexis.
Yvonne is co-Editor of the Asian Patent Attorneys Association (“APAA”) e-newsletter Group and a member of the Executive Committee of the APAA, Singapore Group. She is also a Certified Patent Valuation Analyst.
Yvonne has handled various matters in court. Here is a sampling of her high profile matters:
Hai Tong Co (Pte) Ltd v Ventree Singapore Pte Ltd and another appeal  SGCA 260 – Successfully assisted in representing Hai Tong in the High Court and Court of Appeal in a trade mark infringement / passing-off action against Ventree Singapore Pte Ltd and SKY (sued as a firm), to stop them from infringing Hai Tong’s “Rose Lady” mark by using the mark “Lady Rose” for the same products.
- Virtual Map (Singapore) Pte Ltd v Singapore Land Authority and Anr  SGCA 2 – Successfully assisted in representing Singapore Land Authority in the High Court and Court of Appeal. In this highly publicised case, Yvonne assisted in defending SLA in Virtual Map’s appeal against judgments that its online maps infringed SLA’s copyright. This matter was one of Asia IP’s Landmarks of the Year: The Cases and Decisions Making Headlines in 2008.
- Future Enterprises Pte Ltd v McDonald’s Corporation  SGCA 18 – Successfully assisted in defending McDonald’s in an appeal to the Court of Appeal. Future applied to register the “MacCoffee” mark but McDonald’s had an earlier registration for “McCAFE”.
- Lifestyle 1.99 Pte Ltd v S$1.99 Pte Ltd  2 SLR 766 – Assisted in representing S$1.99 Pte Ltd in the High Court and Court of Appeal in its passing-off claim involving the use of a trading name.
- Stora Enso Oyj v PT Purinusa Ekapersada and PT Pabrik Kertas Tjiwi Kimia Tbk Ltd  SGIPOS 12 – Successfully acted for the Applicants in defending an opposition brought by Stora Enso Oyj to its application for the trade mark “” for paper related products, on the basis of similarity with the Opponents’ ”Storaenso” marks.
- Tsung-Tse Hsieh v Redsun Singapore Pte. Ltd.  SGIPOS 1 - Successfully acted for Redsun in invalidating the Applicant’s registration, on the basis that its use is liable to be prevented by the law of passing-off.
- Kenzo v Tsujimoto Kenzo  SGIPOS 2 – Successfully acted for Tsujimoto Kenzo, the founder of the Japanese listed company, Capcom Co., Ltd, in defending an opposition brought by Kenzo to his application for the trade mark “KENZO ESTATE” in relation to wines from his Napa Valley winery.
- Nutricia International B.V. v Societe Des Products Nestle S.A  SGIPOS 6 – Successfully represented Nutricia in the Trade Marks Registry in opposing Nestle’s registration of a trade mark “PROTECT”, on the basis that it was not sufficiently distinctive in relation to dietetic foodstuffs, food substances and the like.
- Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd v Funexpress.com.sg Pte Ltd (SDRP-2002-0004(F)) – Successfully represented Samsung in a domain name recovery action under the SDRP, to recover the domain name samsungmobile.com.sg.
- PSS 1629/99: PP v Ong Choon Kin – Successfully commenced and prosecuted a private criminal summons action for trade mark offences involving counterfeit motorcycle accessories.
IAM Patent 1000
Prosecution 2019 – Recommended Lawyer
“A certified patent valuation analyst, Tang regularly serves up discerning IP strategy guidance to her dedicated roster of clients”
The Asia Pacific Legal 500
Intellectual Property 2019 – Recommended Lawyer for 2 consecutive years
“Yvonne is commended for her knowledge of patent law”
Intellectual Property 2018 - Recommended individual
“Yvonne Tang’s “legal knowledge and meticulous approach” (is) prized by clients.”
World Trade Mark Review 1000
Prosecution and Strategy 2019 - Recommended individual for 2 consecutive years
"The much-respected Yvonne Tang is an online virtuoso who specialises in recovery claims under the Singapore Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy."
“Yvonne Tang is always in high demand among the fashion and luxury crowd. She performs with alacrity on a mix of registration, brand management, civil and criminal infringement and opposition matters.”
Singapore Business Review
Singapore’s 40 most influential lawyers aged 40 and under in 2015 – Listed lawyer