Boon Ann is recognised in industry publications for his expertise in capital markets. He also specialises in corporate finance and mergers and acquisitions.
Boon Ann began private practice in 1987. He is prolific in handling corporate finance transactions. In 2009, Boon Ann acted as counsel in about a quarter of the initial public offerings in Singapore. He also acts as counsel to listed companies on secondary equity offerings and debt offerings and advises companies on regulatory compliance.
Boon Ann was a member of the Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore’s Legal Panel on Convergence Issues Committee. In 1999, he was also a member of the government appointed Company Legislation and Regulatory Framework Committee to review Singapore’s company law and regulatory framework, and make recommendations for achieving global standards and promoting a competitive economy.
Boon Ann was a Member of Parliament for Tampines GRC from 1996 to 2011.
Some matters that Boon Ann has handled include:
- Acted for Lonza Group Ltd in its secondary listing in Singapore in 2011. Lonza had a market capitalisation of about S$4.2 billion on the date of listing, and was the first SIX-listed company to be admitted to the SGX Mainboard. The transaction was a nominee for “Equity Market Deal of the Year” during the Asian Legal Business South East Asia Law Awards 2012.
- Acted for PetroChina International (Singapore) Pte Ltd, a subsidiary of PetroChina Company Limited, in acquiring an initial block of shares as well as in the subsequent general offer and compulsory acquisition of residual minority shares in Singapore Petroleum Company ("SPC"). This transaction, which saw SPC valued at S$3.2 billion in its entirety, was one of the most significant takeovers in the Energy sector in recent years. It was named the Singapore M&A Deal of the Year 2010 and the Asian-Counsel Deals of the Year 2009 at the Asian Legal Business SE Asia Law Awards.
- Acted for Eng Wah Organization Ltd in relation to (i) its S$675 million reverse takeover by Transcu Ltd.; and (ii) the disposal of its business and property assets for S$113 million. This transaction was a nominee for "Equity Market Deal of the Year" in the BMW Asian Legal Business South East Asia Law Awards 2009.
- Acted for Healthway Medical Corporation Ltd in its S$48.8 million initial public offering and listing, one of the first Catalist listings in Singapore in 2008.
- Acted for Petra Foods Ltd in its S$156 million initial public offering and listing. This transaction was nominated by Asian Legal Business as the Cross-border Equity Deal of the Year for 2004.
Chambers Asia-Pacific and Global
Capital Markets 2019 – Leading lawyer for 9 consecutive years
"He's a good lawyer – that's a given – but also very well attuned to the regulatory nuances."
"We can trust wholeheartedly all our problems to him and know he'll come up with solutions."
"Someone I would rely on in a difficult situation”
"Articulate and intelligent, and the quality of work is always very good."
The IFLR 1000: The Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms
Capital Markets 2019 – Highly regarded for 2 consecutive years
Leading Lawyer for 7 consecutive years from 2011 to 2017
A client commended Boon Ann as a "top notch" lawyer who does "overall excellent work."
The Asia Pacific Legal 500
Capital Markets 2019 – Recommended lawyer, Leading Individual for 13 consecutive years from 2006 to 2018
Projects & Energy 2017 – Recommended lawyer
A client commended him for his “maturity and experience.”
"Knowledgeable", "gets straight to the point" and "refreshingly solutions-oriented’"
Best Lawyers International: Singapore
Capital Markets Law 2020 – Endorsed individual for 9 consecutive years
Corporate Law 2020 – Endorsed individual for 3 consecutive years
Who's Who Legal
Mergers & Acquisitions 2016 - Leading Lawyer
Capital Markets 2013 – Leading Lawyer for 2 consecutive years
Asialaw Leading Lawyers
Capital Markets 2014 – Leading Lawyer
Practical Law Company Which Lawyer?
Capital Markets 2012 – Endorsed for 3 consecutive years
The IFLR 1000: The Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms 2011 notes that clients "have good working rapport with Sin Boon Ann in dealing with transactional issues and regulatory issues," and cited him as being "dynamic in terms of pitching for deals. His approach to legal issues is commercial, yet he is aware of regulatory concerns. He'll think out of the box for ideas for our clients."