Mohan specialises in insolvency and debt restructuring and regularly advises debtors, creditors and insolvency office-holders on transactional and litigation aspects of insolvency and debt restructuring matters.
Mohan has been involved in several major debt restructuring transactions, including the US$2bn restructuring of PT Berlian Laju Tanker Tbk, which was named the Restructuring Deal of the Year at the IFLR Asia Awards 2016 and Insolvency Deal of the Year at the Asian Lawyer Emerging Markets Awards 2016. He has also been involved in several landmark cases concerning insolvency and debt restructuring, including Media Development Authority of Singapore v Sculptor Finance (MD) Ireland Ltd  1 SLR 733, BNY Corporate Trustee Services Ltd v Celestial Nutrifoods Ltd  4 SLR 331 and Re Pacific Andes Resources Development Ltd  SGHC 210.
Mohan was listed in the inaugural ‘40 under 40’ list of restructuring lawyers compiled by the Global Restructuring Review in 2016. He has also been named a ‘Rising Star’ by IFLR and a ‘Next Generation Lawyer’ by the Legal 500 Asia-Pacific.
Debt restructuring matters that Mohan has been involved in include:
1. Berlian Laju Tanker – Advised the Indonesian shipping company PT Berlian Laju Tanker Tbk in a restructuring of over US$2 billion of debt, implemented using the scheme of arrangement process in Singapore as well as PKPU proceedings in Indonesia, Chapter 15 process in the United States and consensual arrangements with certain creditors. This transaction was named the Restructuring Deal of the Year at the IFLR Asia Awards 2016 and Insolvency Deal of the Year at the Asian Lawyer Emerging Markets Awards 2016.
2. Pacific Andes – Advised the debtor companies on a US$2.5 billion worldwide restructuring involving scheme of arrangement proceedings in Singapore. This transaction was named Finance Deal of the Year (Restructuring and Insolvency) at The Asian Lawyer Asia Legal Awards 2017 and won the Asialaw Asia-Pacific Dispute Resolution Award 2017 – Matter of the Year at the Asialaw Asia-Pacific Dispute Resolution Summit 2017.
3. Swissco – Advising a bank lender on its loans to the Swissco group, an oil and gas service provider, which is currently under judicial management in Singapore.
4. Punj Lloyd and Sembawang Engineers – Advising a syndicate of lenders on their loan to the construction companies Punj Lloyd and Sembawang Engineers, which are both currently under judicial management in Singapore.
5. Bilcare – Advised the judicial managers of Bilcare Singapore, a manufacturer of high-end pharmaceutical packaging, on the restructuring of its debts of approximately US$90 million. The restructuring involved transferring Bilcare’s business and assets to a new investor and using the proceeds to repay debt, under consensual arrangements with creditors and a scheme of arrangement under Singapore law.
Chambers & Partners
Restructuring/Insolvency 2021 – Up and Coming for 3 consecutive years
Mohan is noted by sources for his experience of both transactional and contentious mandates in this space. “He's a very, very good lawyer, one of the up-and coming guys in the restructuring space.”
He has a broad practice acting for a full range of clients on debt restructurings. A source praised Mohan, saying he “has done very well and is working on big deals.”
The Asia Pacific Legal 500
Restructuring & Insolvency 2021 – Next Generation Lawyer for 5 consecutive years
A client praised Mohan as a "great and highly dependable counsel" that is "technically very knowledgeable."
IFLR1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms
Restructuring and Insolvency 2021 – Rising Star for 3 consecutive years
Asialaw Leading Lawyers
Restructuring and Insolvency 2021 – Rising Star for 2 consecutive years
Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific
Insolvency 2021 – Future Star for 2 consecutive years
Singapore Business Review
Singapore’s most promising legal luminaries aged 40 and under in 2017 – Listed lawyer
IFLR Asia Awards 2016
Rising Star, Restructuring
Global Restructuring Review
‘40 Under 40’ – Listed lawyer (2016)