Siau Wen is an Intellectual Property specialist with more than 15 years of experience in contentious and non-contentious IP practice.
She manages the global trade mark and patent portfolios of foreign and local multinational clients from a wide range of industries. She also advises clients on general IP and regulatory matters as well as issues of gaming, product advertising, labeling, and branding strategy.
Siau Wen handles various facets of IP commercial transactions. They include due diligence; negotiations; and drafting and reviewing licensing, franchising, sale and transfer, confidentiality, distributorship, and consultancy agreements relating to IP rights.
Siau Wen is active in the area of Intellectual Property litigation and enforcement. She focuses on disputes involving trade marks, copyright, domain names, designs, and confidential information.
She is also a Certified Patent Valuation Analyst.
Siau Wen has handled many notable matters. Here are just a few:
- Louis Vuitton Malletier v. Megastar Shipping Pte Ltd  SGHC 305 – Acted in a landmark trademark infringement matter that involved the transshipment of counterfeit merchandise through the Singapore ports.
- Starbucks Corporation v Morinaga Nyugyo Kabushiki Kaisha (Morinaga Milk Industry Co. Ltd)  SGIPOS 18 – Successfully defended Morinaga Milk in a trade mark opposition by Starbucks Coffee on the grounds of similar marks and that the former’s mark would deceive the public as to the geographical origin of the goods.
- Weir Warman Ltd v Research & Development Pty Ltd  2 SLR(R) 1073 - Assisted in the successful defence of Weir Warman Ltd in the High Court against a trade mark invalidation and revocation action that was based on allegations of bad faith and non-use.
- Berger International Limited v Leonhard Kurz & Stiftung & Co. KG  SGIPOS 14 - Successfully represented Leonhard Kurz & Stiftung & Co. KG in the Trade Marks Registry in opposing the registration of the “Touchwood” trade mark, on the basis that it was similar to our client’s mark for similar goods and would therefore cause confusion.
- Delight Express Limited v In-Comix Food Industries Sdn Bhd  SGIPOS 14 - Successfully defended Delight Express Limited against an opposition, which was based on a number of grounds, including bad faith, copyright infringement, and passing off. The High Court dismissed an appeal by the opponents.
- Acted for a number of sporting and luxury goods conglomerates in anti-piracy actions, including applying for search warrants to conduct raids and taking private criminal summons actions against counterfeiters.
- Represented a Singapore-based private education institution in granting a licence of its global IP assets to a joint venture entity that was setting up educational facilities in the Middle East.
IAM Patent 1000
Prosecution 2019 – Recommended lawyer
Sources mention that Siau Wen is “very responsive” and “does a great job at a competitive rate”.
The Asia Pacific Legal 500
Intellectual Property 2018 - Recommended lawyer
World Trade Mark Review 1000
Enforcement and Litigation 2019 – Recommended Individual for 2 consecutive years
“Well-versed in all aspects of trademark protection, Siau Wen dispenses practicable and commercially sensible advice and always finds ways to add value. She makes everything easier and follows up proactively to ensure you are fully protected.”
“Dextrously crossing between the contentious/non-contentious practices is Siau Wen, who blends fine-milled regulatory knowledge into her practice.”
Managing Intellectual Property
Voted a Trade Mark Star in 2019
Asia IP Experts 2018
Leading individual in Trade Mark (6 consecutive years)
Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific 2019 edition
Recommended lawyer for Intellectual Property
Sources say that Siau Wen is a “principal of the firm and is doing well in all aspects”.
Singapore Business Review
Singapore’s 40 most influential lawyers aged 40 and under in 2015 – Listed lawyer