Wai Cheong has extensive experience in real estate and banking and finance, both as a practicing lawyer and as an in-house legal counsel.
As a practicing lawyer, he has represented different parties in many financing transactions, including syndicated and bilateral financing transactions and operating and finance leases, both domestic and cross-border. His financing transactions involved different asset classes as collateral, ranging from real estate to commodities to ships. Wai Cheong has also represented various Singapore banks in transactions which involve the financing of acquisition of shares in Singapore companies listed on the Singapore Exchange in connection with the take-over and acquisition of such companies. He has also advised on derivatives transactions, foreign exchange transactions and margin trading.
Wai Cheong also has extensive real estate experience and had represented purchasers and vendors for the sale and purchase and financing of residential, commercial and industrial properties in Singapore and Hong Kong, developers in connection with the purchase, development and financing of land for both residential and commercial purposes and landlords and tenants in connection with leases of residential, industrial and commercial property and industrial property owners in sales and leasebacks.
Wai Cheong was previously the General Counsel for Asia as well as the Head of Legal for Singapore for an European bank. Before that, he was the Head of Capital Markets Legal for South Asia as well the Head of Legal for Singapore for another European bank.
Wai Cheong’s transaction highlights include:
- Acted for various subsidiaries of a listed company in connection with their financing of residential, commercial and hotel developments.
- Acted for a Singapore company in connection with its acquisition and development of land in Malaysia and Korea.
- Acted for a Singapore bank in connection with its financing to a subsidiary of a Singapore listed company to acquire and refurbish a jack-up rig.
- Acted for a subsidiary of a Singapore listed company in connection with its US90 million facilities from a Singapore bank secured by a jack-up rig and several land rigs.
- Acted for a Singapore company in connection with its lease of a built-to-suit industrial property.
Asia Pacific Legal 500
Real Estate 2021 – Recommended Lawyer for 5 consecutive years
Sources say that Yeong Wai Cheong is “noted for his 'depth of knowledge in the real estate area' and 'incredibly organised' approach”.
Best Lawyers International: Singapore (2021 edition)
Real Estate Law – Endorsed individual