Vikram graduated with First Class Honours from the National University of Singapore in 2010. That same year, he obtained an LL.M. from New York University, and topped the Singapore Bar exams with four distinctions. Prior to joining Drew & Napier, Vikram was a Justices’ Law Clerk and an Assistant Registrar in the Supreme Court of Singapore.
Vikram is actively engaged in a wide range of complex commercial litigation, arbitration and insolvency-related litigation matters. His experience includes disputes relating to high value commercial contracts, leases and private equity investments. Vikram also has experience in commercial crime matters, competition investigations and civil penalty proceedings under the Securities and Futures Act.
Vikram has been appointed twice to assist the Court as amicus curiae. In the second case ( 2 SLR 449), which resulted in a landmark decision of the Court of Appeal concerning sentencing guidelines for the offence of rape, the Court of Appeal stated: “[t]his is the second time that Mr Rajaram has been invited to act as amicus curiae, and as was the case on the first occasion, his submissions were clear, comprehensive and succinct”.
Some of the matters that Vikram has acted in are as follows:
1. Successfully obtained from the High Court an order for the judicial management of a trading company with debts in excess of $250 million. The application was strenuously contested. Vikram was lead counsel.
2. Successfully represented directors and shareholders of an oil-drilling company in injunction proceedings concerning the control of entities owning rigs worth in excess of a billion dollars.
3. Successfully represented an oil and gas company in an emergency arbitration in which freezing orders and orders for preservation of documents were obtained.
4. Successfully represented a leading private equity firm in a complex investment dispute. The amount in dispute was over $50 million. The dispute involved arbitration proceedings under the SIAC rules, a parallel Singapore High Court action and enforcement proceedings. Vikram argued a number of applications before a High Court Judge, including an application to stay the court proceedings and applications relating to enforcement.
5. Successfully represented an international sports marketing, media and event management group in an SIAC arbitration with a sub-licensee over media rights for a major sports event.