Grace is the head of the Capital Markets Practice. Her primary areas of practice are corporate finance and corporate and commercial transactions, including equity issues, reverse takeovers, listings, mergers and acquisitions, and joint ventures. Her work includes advising Singapore-listed companies in relation to their corporate exercises, including major acquisitions and disposals, takeover offers, share schemes, interested person transactions and other regulatory compliance issues.
She joined Drew & Napier after graduating from the National University of Singapore in 2003 and spent half a year on secondment to Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, London in 2006.
Grace’s transaction highlights include:
- Counsel to Don Agro International, a Russian-based agricultural company, in its Initial Public Offering on the Catalist Board of the SGX in 2020. This is the first listing of a Russian business on the SGX
- Counsel to Poh Tiong Choon Logistics Limited in relation to the S$275 million voluntary conditional cash offer by Respond Logistics Pte. Ltd., as well as its subsequent privatisation and delisting.
- Counsel to The Trendlines Group Ltd in its S$25 million initial public offering and listing on the SGX-ST Catalist in 2016. It was the first Israeli incubator organization to be listed on the Catalist.
- Counsel to Lonza Group Ltd in its secondary listing by introduction on the Main Board of the SGX-ST in 2011. It was the first Swiss company to be dual-listed on the SIX and the SGX.
- Counsel to the Sole Global Co-ordinators in the 2010 secondary listing by introduction of Golden Ocean Group Ltd on the SGX-ST Main Board. It was the first company to be dual-listed on the OSE and the SGX.
- Counsel to Healthway Medical Corporation in its initial public offering and listing on the Catalist of the SGX-ST in 2008. This was one of the first Catalist listings in Singapore.
The Asia Pacific Legal 500
Capital Markets 2020 – Recommended Lawyer for 3 consecutive years
Projects & Energy 2017 – Recommended Lawyer
“Grace Lai understands our business needs. She demonstrated an excellent understanding of laws and practice to help the client to plan its corporate goal by providing a specific and concise legal road map.”
IFLR1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms
Capital Markets 2021 – Notable Practitioner for 4 consecutive years
Corp/M&A 2021 – Notable Practitioner for 3 consecutive years
“Knowledge, responsiveness and effectiveness.”
“Completely professional and highly responsive.”
“Excellent work. She delivers timely and effective solutions and advice to the client, and really understands the needs of the business and owner. Great time management."
Asialaw Leading Lawyers
Capital Markets 2021 – Notable Practitioner for 2 consecutive years
Grace is commended by a client for her "excellent works".
"She helps us manage the timeline well to tie in the corporate goals of each corporate action. Very resourceful. Great team."
Singapore Business Review
Singapore’s 70 most influential lawyers aged 40 and under in 2016 – Listed lawyer
Who’s Who Legal The International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers
Capital Markets 2013 – Recommended lawyer